Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

When Did Your Great Grandfather Live?

While viewing a mini tutorial on 23andme about ancestry, there was this graphic. You'll note that in this graphic it has great-grandparents as living ~90 years ago. That seems kind of vague to me.  Now, one of my great grandfathers was born in Lancaster, New York in 1839. That's 178 years ago. He died more than 90 years in 1925 in East Tawas, Michigan. He was the earliest born of all my great grandparents, most of whom were born in the 1860s. And he was the youngest of all the children of his parents. His youngest son was my grandfather who was born in 1888 when August was 49 years old. My mother was born in 1924 when her father was 35.

August's own father was born in 1796, so you can see that I can go back only four generations to find someone born in the 18th century.

I'm not sure whether I should be awed by this or not. My oldest daughter missed meeting her great grandfather (my grandfather) by 10 months. However, on their father's side I have a picture taken at Christmas of 1982 with four generations. Below, are my youngest daughter with her great Aunt Stella, their Grandma, my older daughter with her daddy, and their great Grandma!
It's awesome to be able to document generations like this. I wish I had some for myself, but my last great grandparent died three years before I was born.





















Copyright 2010-2017, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment