Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, August 7, 2017

Matilda, Matilda

Ever since I found out about my great-great-great grandfather's first wife, I've been curious about her. Her name was Matilda Fleet Hinton Goodridge. She was the daughter of William Goodridge and his wife Catherine Hinton. I've never discovered where the Fleet comes from.

She married my great-great-great grandfather, John Stearns Percival on May 22, 1817 in Boone county, Kentucky. She had permission of her father for the marriage to take place.

She is the only grandchild mentioned in her grandfather George Goodridge's will, which was made February 4, 1802 and probated July 15, 1802. Her brother Fountain was born about 1795-96; her brother Walter about 1797-98.

Matilda had two children, only one I can verify. Her son Egbert Davis Percival was born about 1819 in Boone county, Kentucky. He is listed in his grandfather's will - that is William Goodridge, who died in 1850. William's will was made March 2, 1850 and probated in April of 1850. By this time Egbert would have been about 30-31. No mention of any other Percival children is made in his will.

Dr. John Stearns Percival, Matilda's husband remarried on April 4, 1822 in Boone county, Kentucky. They had the following children that I have verified: Eliza Ann, John Stearns, Jr., and Jabez. There is also reputedly a son William, whom I have never found in any record. I think he may have died young. Maybe that was Elizabeth's fate also.  Dr. John Stearns Percival died intestate in 1841 and the only children mentioned were his sons. Certainly Eliza was still alive as she married in 1844 and died in 1884, but not considered a minor as were the sons.

I guess one of Matilda's brothers love his sisters so much, he named some daughters after them. One was Matilda Fleet Hinton Percival Goodridge. I guess the family names weren't lost by them!


Copyright 2010-2017, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment