Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Lucy Booth Grolton Everett

For years, I looked for death records for Lucy Booth Grolton. It's an unusual name, so I couldn't understand why I didn't find her. Fortunately for me, someone had posted a tree on Ancestry, which lead to The Social Security Applications and Claims database. I love that her name is listed as follows:

Lucy Ann Everett
[Lucy A Everett]
[Lucy Ann Booth].

All right! Now I have her correct name, but still couldn't find her. So I went into Newspapers.com and did a search for Lucy Grolton. Bingo. I found her letter to the Washington Missourian on September 14, 1944. Lucy Booth Grolton was a WAAC. Well, where was her husband Walter Grolton in all this?
I went back to the 1940 census. I found Lucy Trolta aka Grolton (indexing error) living with her sister and brother-in-law and family. Also with Lucy was her son, James, age 12. Lucy's marital status was D for Divorced. Ok.

A quick check of Fold3 shows no military record or WAC record even though they're supposed to have something. Someone on MyHeritage has an N Lucy A Grolt. Research can be frustrating. However, I have more than I did two days ago, so I am a happy researcher.

Copyright 2010-2017, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment