Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Persistence Pays Off - The Dell Is Resuscitated

About six weeks ago, I turned on my old Dell XPS 1530 laptop to do some updates. The updates were less than successful and it appeared to have crashed and burned. Instead of the blue screen of death, I got the gray screen which really looked awful.

Then early this afternoon, I got the mad idea to try and reinstall windows, since I had the disks that came with that Dell.

It was tedious, nail-biting, nerve-wracking. But I did it. Of course, I lost everything that was on it, but there wasn't anything on it that wasn't backed up. Whew. Now, it is mostly bare bones.

It has Firefox, the webcam and programs, the Roxio Creator and my eCal software for my Sizzix, my electronic cutter and all the SVG Cuts files that I use. That is the only thing I haven't tested. The old Dell is 5+ years old, and it was always my workhorse. So I am really glad to be able to use it in my craft room -- if that ever gets done! I hope to test everything in the next few days. Since the craft room is packed up in anticipation of remodeling, I may have to make room in my office. Hmm. Incentive to clear up those piles?

Copyright 2010-2013, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment