Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday Moanin' - Catching Up - Again!

I have tried all weekend to accomplish something ... anything. Really, not much luck. Today however, I updated my to-do list in RootsMagic. I knocked quite a few items off the to-do list and took it from 180 items to 146. Way to go, me!

I constantly try to impress upon readers the need for organization when you go on a research trip to a courthouse, library, cemetery or whatever. Even when researching from home, keep a list of what you need in certain online databases. Its amazing how much you will get done.

Some people use their place list to use as research. I might do that if I am going somewhere out of town and want to check if there is something to search for that I don't have. Some use family group sheets. Me, I use my to do lists in RootsMagic and I keep databases of cemeteries. There are three that I concentrate on: Mount Olivet in Detroit, where some of my family is buried; Lexington Cemetery in Lexington, Kentucky; and Cave Hill in Louisville, Kentucky. The Cave Hill website allows you to print out a section map and it is so easy to mark the lot and write on the page the people you for whom you are searching.

The important thing is to stay organized.

Copyright 2010-2013, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment