Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Don't Tell Me Where You Got the Information ...

I have not only been working on my family history for years, but also my husband's. So from time to time, I am contacted by a researcher who wants to know if we're connected.  I can't tell you how many hours and dollars I've invested in researching his line. It's a lot. And I had help to steer me along the way, so am usually very happy to share.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a relative of my husband. I think we had corresponded before. I went to the trouble to put together a family narrative with what I've found along with the sources.  Unfortunately, I was told my sources weren't necessary. WTH? Really. And all the researcher wanted was a descendent chart.

I have to tell you that I am still dumbfounded. The researcher got what I had prepared. Sourced. Whenever I got something from someone else, I always asked for the source material too. Or at least a source citation. Tell me where to look so I can duplicate it at the very least. But I never told anyone the sources were not wanted.

This is pretty much why I do not share my info on Ancestry.com. I'm not interested in name collectors.

Copyright 2010-2013, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment