Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day

I love Holidays. Although, Labor Day as a holiday always confused me. Should we labor on Labor day? For sure someone is. Whether it is a first responder, nurse, doctor, utility worker, you can bet somewhere is working today.

I grew up in a blue-collar home in a blue-collar neighborhood. My dad was the custodian for the Catholic parish we belonged to. I know there were times when he was called into work on a holiday to fix something in the church rectory or even the church itself.

My mom didn't work outside the home until my younger sisters were teens, with the brief exception of about a year when I was 9. But she worked so hard in our home raising 6 kids, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. Even on Labor day.

Thanks to all those people who labor for a living, and that raise families - truly a labor of love.

Happy Labor Day!

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment