Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Too-Too Thursday - Them or Me?

I am using (I wrote this a couple weeks ago) GenSmarts to help me locate people on the New York 1915 and 1925 census. In searching using soundex to look for Joseph Schwartz in 1915 in Lancaster, NY, I'm coming up with a big fat ZERO.  So I looked for just Joseph. Nada. Amelia Schwartz. Nope. Just Amelia. Bingo. She is listed as Schwarz - soundex didn't work with the absence of the 't.' And Joseph was there, but indexed as Jaseph. And the actual 1915 census page? Joseph Schwartz. Another case of really crappy indexing. When will Ancestry.com learn that their method doesn't work.

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. I have a Joseph Schwartz in my line, too. But mine was born in California and lived his whole life there.

    ReplyDelete