Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Proof-Reading

 I think transcription can be really interesting. Proof reading the results not so much.

You will recall that I transcribed World War II era letters written mostly by my grandfather to my uncle John. At the time I felt I needed a break from them, but now I am scrambling to proof them all and print them and save the letters to CD for my cousins and aunt.  Part of the difficulty is making sure I leave grandpa's wording and spelling intact. I have to say his spelling improved greatly between World War I and World War II.  There was also one letter from my dad to his brother. Spelling was always the bane of his existence. So you see, using spell checking on these letters is not really an option. Good old-fashioned proofing is what is needed!



Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment