Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Virginia Carter Huntsberry Chinn

Thanks to a family tree over on Ancestry.com, I was able to flesh out the Carter family. As always, I like to remind my readers that those family trees online are a starting point, not the end point. I always try to find one that has been sourced, mainly because that usually means they haven't clicked and claimed someone else's tree. Then I like to duplicate the work.

Getting back to Virginia Carter, daughter of Edwin Harvey Carter and Ann Paul, she is listed as "Jane" on her marriage record. That's not too unusual as I have often seen Jennie as a nickname for Virginia, as well as Ginny.

At any rate, Virginia married William H or William B. Huntsberry on November 10, 1857 in Lafayette County, Missouri.

The Huntsberry's were enumerated in 1860 in Dover Township, Lafayette, Missouri. In 1870, they are NOWHERE to be found. I have had this issue in Lafayette county before. Since Virginia married her next husband in Shelby county, I checked there also, since the Huntsberry's were both buried there and they owned property there.

The 1860 census shows the following family group for the Huntsberry family:

W. H. Huntsberry, age 30, born in Missouri.
Virginia, age 24, born in Virginia
Edwin M., aged 8 months, born in Virginia
Harvey, aged 2, born in Virginia

The 1880 census of  Eureka Springs, Carroll, Arkansas shows George & Virginia Chinn with son Varion, aged 13. George and Virginia were married in 1874, so Varion is probably Huntsberry and not Chinn. A quick check of the Missouri Death Records proves that he is the son of William Huntsberry and Virginia Carter (her name given here is Mary Virginia.)


Now we get into Land Atlases. Mrs. G. W. Chinn is listed in 1878 as landowner in Section 56 of Pettis county, Missouri. In 1902, her son Varion S. Huntsberry is listed as owner of the same plot of land. So now I have linked Virginia Carter to George W Chinn and Varion S. Huntsberry.


George W. Chinn was my second cousin 4 times removed and Virginia Carter Huntsberry Chinn was my second great grandaunt! I'm thinking it was a good thing they didn't have children together because that relationship calculation might blow up my computer!

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment