Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sneaky - Or What I learned About My Dad!

I'm back to transcribing the letters written mostly by my grandfather to my Uncle John Percival. John Percival, Jr. that is.  I've tried not to read ahead as that sometimes spoils the letters for me and confuses me when I start transcribing again.

At any rate, one of the latest batches of letters includes one from Grandpa to Uncle Johnny, relating to him that Frank (my dad) has gone and tried to enlist on May 27th, 1943. Grandpa had to go to the draft board and show them Frank's birth certificate - Frank was only 17 at the time. I can imagine the fireworks when Grandpa got home from work and confronted my dad. Glad I wasn't there!



Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment