Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Scrambling to Keep Up

Over the weekend, I was contacted by a family member that I was not previously acquainted with. Oh, I knew he existed, but that is as far as it went. He was nice enough to send me an obituary on his great-great grandfather, Michael Simmet (Zimmeth). That was really good. Of course, because I now knew the married name of one of the daughters - and her husband's name I had to go look for them in the census.  I not only found census for 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930, but I found the 1892 and 1905 New York state censuses. So yes, I added six more to the queue! What did that mean? I had to enter and link 16 censuses yesterday to keep up. I am trying to do 10 or 12 a day just to keep ahead of the game. Believe me, it barely keeps me even. So here I sit at 347 left to go, which means I have entered 230 since January 1st.

And as I sit here entering this information, I am forced to stop and look up something in my files and I think - I should scan all these old records and link them too! I am talking about all the vital records I've located in the last 25 years of research. OMG! Just the thought of that stresses me out.

Okay, back to census!

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment