Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Watch Out for Misleading Information!

I don't know why I didn't think to do this before, but I decided to look and see if my DH's paternal grandfather was registered for the "Old Man's Draft" during World War II. Yes, he was and so was his older brother. Years ago, my F-in-law told me that he called his one uncle, Uncle Bill. Seeing his father's draft registration, that would bear that out. 

I find it curious that he puts his brother down as someone who will always know where he is. Not his wife. And he gives his brother's name as William Kruszka, and his brother's address as 1941 Outer Drive.

Except his oldest brother was not William. I'm not saying that William was not his brother, I am saying his name was not William. It was Valentine.

Here is Uncle "Bill's" draft registration. The address is 1941 E. Outer Drive. Yes, he was born in Poland, and was the eldest child of Michael Kruszka and Josephine Glowska. The Zalot family lived next door and Bill's wife wanted the eldest Zalot daughter for her son, Chester. Instead, Bill's nephew caught her!

Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment