Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wedding Wednesday - Oliphant & Archbald

Eckford, Roxburgh, Scotland

Years ago, when I first started researching, I thought that the name Oliphant was so unusual and rare. NOT! It turns out it is pretty common both in Scotland and the United States.
Eckford, located between Kelso & Jedburgh

At any rate, today's wedding is that of my great-great-great-great grand parents, Ralph Oliphant and Margaret Archbald. They were married June 22, 1805 in Eckford, Roxburgh, Scotland. Their only child as far as I have found is Alexander Oliphant, born in 1806. Margaret Archbald Oliphant died March 1, 1808 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland and Ralph died July 2, 1829, also in Kelso.

When I originally researched the Oliphants and Archbalds, I made note of the locations in relation to Edinburgh. I'm glad I did. To the east of Edinburgh is Haddington - where my Maitlands lived. They wouldn't meet up until about 1860. Click on the images to see a larger version of the maps.

Location in relation to Edinburgh












Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment