Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Queen of Arcane Databases

I love finding databases that are little known. Such as United States, Union Provost Marshal Files of Individual Civilians, 1861-1866 found at FamilySearch.

While browsing that database I found the following letter written by P. S. Bush (Philip S. Bush) of Covington, Kentucky in regards to his son-in-law, Jabez Percival:

            Covington Ky Oct 9th 1862

To Col. Wm P Sikes

    Dr Sir,  Mr Jabez Percival, my son in law lives with me, he has been thrown out of business by the selling of his stock of hardware and by Danl Mooar with whom he was in partnership having no interest but a portion of the profits. He has not to my knowledge $100 of property to save his watch, he has been assessed $25 for military purposes, I ask that the amount may be reduced to $10 and I will see it paid by tomorrow evening.

                            Very respectfully

                            P S Bush




Jabez Percival was my great-great grandfather's (John S Percival, Jr) brother. I love finds like this! Don't forget to click on the image to see a larger scale image.



Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment