Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Much Confusion Here

I wasted spent a good hour looking for Dudley Bowman Moore on the 1900-1920 censuses the other day. I looked for Dudley Moore, D. B. Moore, Moore born in Kentucky circa 1874, etc. I finally found him by searching for one of his children. Even that didn't gel right away, but the wheels in my head finally turned around the thought that Bowman was indeed Dudley BOWMAN Moore. In 1900, as far as I can tell, he was the only Dudley Bowman Moore in Kentucky. So why use Bowman? Not only that, but while Ancestry had him indexed as Boman Moore in 1910, they didn't actually have him linked to the correct page.  Paging backward and forward did not find the correct page - it was missing. Fortunately, our library here in Tennessee subscribes to Heritage Quest and I was able to find the missing page on their site. Aren't there enough obstacles when researching that we don't really need to any more?






Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment