Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Following Up


You might recall at the end of the summer, I was working on a calendar project. You can see those posts here, here and here.

Today I decided to revisit that project, now just searching for people born between 1900 and 1920. The one thing I do have is a reasonably certain birth date on these people. Which is really helpful when you are searching, because it gives you just one more tool.

One of the families I picked up on this latest go round of October birthdays is Lydia Maybelle Wheatley, who was born October 27, 1908. Now, I doubted that she was still alive, but you never know. A search for Lydia Wheatley produced no results, so the next thought was to put her birthday in and the first person who came up was a Lydia M.Adler of Jacksonville, Florida. I looked back at my genealogy of the family and oh, look, Lydia's mother died in Jacksonville in 1963. Okay this was looking really good. Back to Ancestry to see if I could find a marriage for Lydia Wheatley in Florida. Sure did. To Benjamin Highsmith in 1931. Another check of Ancestry showed a divorce for the Highsmiths in 1939. A check for Clarence Adler showed a divorce for him in 1943. A search for a marriage for Lydia Highsmith came up empty. Well, at this point I put in Clarence Adler and B-I-N-G-O, Lydia's name was spelled wrong. Not the Highsmith, but Lydia was spelled Lydua. Darn typos. My next search would have probably been for Lyd* Highsm* which would have picked up the misspelling.
Clarence & Lydia Adler, Riverside Memorial Cemetery


The point is, that I didn't give up, crossed another person off the search list and found this nice bonus thanks to Lulabell on Find-A-Grave. The memorial is for Clarence & Lydia Adler, Riverside Cemetery, Jacksonville, Florida. I found this by utilizing the tools I have at hand: Ancestry, Find-A-Grave, and my genealogy program's Calendar function.



Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. Nice work and thanks for the great idea!

    Pat
    www.genealogygals.com/blog

    ReplyDelete