Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Closing Out the Year

As the year winds down, I like to reflect on what I've accomplished over the past year genealogically. I usually have more control over my family research than any other part of my life.

One of my goals over the past two years was to integrate all the census records I've found over the years and either scan them or find the images online and save and link them to the proper families in my database. That backlog was finally cleared up in early November. It was a huge undertaking, and I am glad it is done. Er, maybe should do something about the forty new ones I've dumped saved in my census folder. I ended 2008 with 8011 images and I am close to 12000 now.

Another of my goals was to make sure I had every vital record in my possession scanned and linked. That project is complete.  Except for the nineteen death certficates I found this week.

Third, my genealogical program allows me to keep a To-Do list. I use this a lot. Mostly I use it to track for death certificates and for research facilities, such as the Allen County Public Library or the Lexington, Kentucky Public library.  Both these facilities are terrific and I usually have pages of research to do when I get a chance to visit either.  This year I was able to knock well over a hundred items off my lists.  Unfortunately, once I got home from these research trips, I added quite a few more items to the list.

I also have tried to keep my office organized. It is literally about the size of a narrow walk in closet, as the Wild Ones can attest. For the most part, I've kept it pretty neat, but it still needs work. Part of the problem is that my desktop is so small. And it fills up fast. Lateral surfaces tend to collect whatever I am working on.

Finally, I've tried to stay organized by actually filing stuff away. With the system I worked out when we moved in June of 2008, I've been able to actually find stuff I filed.

You never know what the year will bring, so even the smallest accomplishment should be celebrated. I hope you all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

  1. Filing, pleeeazzzze, what is that?? OKK, cousin, I could use some help here, just SHOVE me in the right direction. GROANNN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help you there, cuz! I'm hoping to get my desk cleaned off and office straightened and to add 20 new images to my database before midnight. That will bring my multimedia file to 12000.

    ReplyDelete